py2exe for Python 3
py2exe is a distutils extension which allows to build standalone Windows executable programs (32-bit and 64-bit) from Python scripts. Python versions included in the official development cycle are supported (from 3.6 to 3.9 included).
py2exe can build console executables and windows (GUI) executables. Building windows services, and DLL/EXE COM servers might work but it is not actively supported.
py2exeis hosted here: https://github.com/py2exe/py2exe.
Detailed changelog is published on GitHub.
- New module finder with support for implicit namespace packages (PEP 420).
DLLFinderautomatically excludes VC++ redist and Windows CRT DLLs from bundles.
- Several fixes for bundling software with
bundle_files<=2(only the standard library is supported, other dependencies may or may not work).
- New hooks for
- Add support for Python 3.9.
- Drop support for Python 3.5.
- New hooks for
Version 0.10.0.2 (from versions 0.9.x):
- Introduce compatibility with Python 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8.
- Drop compatibility with Python 3.4 and earlier.
- New or updated hooks for
zipfile=Noneoption has been removed.
runtime: the Python interpreter DLL is no longer altered before being inserted in the executable bundle.
- Several bugfixes, better error messages.
pip install py2exe
Using a setup-script
Documentation about the setup-script and other usage tips are in the wiki pages at http://www.py2exe.org.
Using the builder
build_exe CLI is not actively supported at the moment. Users are encouraged to create their own
setup.py files. Documentation on how to use the CLI can be found here.
- The option
bundle_files=0is incompatible with
- Building isapi extensions is not supported.
- High-level methods or hooks to embed Qt plugins in the bundle (needed by PySide2/PyQt5) are missing.
Further informations about the original development of
py2exe and other usage guidelines can be found in the original README.