A Python interface for the Generic Mapping Tools.
This package is still undergoing rapid development.
All of the API (functions/classes/interfaces) is subject to change until we reach v1.0.0 as per the semantic versioning specification. There may be non-backward compatible changes as we experiment with new design ideas and implement new features. This is not a finished product, use with caution.
PyGMT is a library for processing geospatial and geophysical data and making publication quality maps and figures. It provides a Pythonic interface for the Generic Mapping Tools (GMT), a command-line program widely used in the Earth Sciences.
We rely heavily on new features that have been implemented in GMT 6.0. In particular, a new modern execution mode that greatly simplifies figure creation. These features are not available in the 5.4 version of GMT.
- Make GMT more accessible to new users.
- Build a Pythonic API for GMT.
- Interface with the GMT C API directly using ctypes (no system calls).
- Support for rich display in the Jupyter notebook.
- Integration with the PyData ecosystem:
pandas.DataFramefor data tables and