portray is a Python3 command line tool and library that helps you create great documentation websites for your Python projects with as little effort as possible.
- Zero-Config: No configuration is necessary to use
portray. Just run
portrayin the root of your Python project and it will find your documentation.
- Statically Generated:
portraywebsites are easy to host on GitHub pages and other similar services as they are outputted as standard static HTML websites.
- Markdown Aware:
portraywill automatically include your projects
.mdfiles and render them into HTML. It will also find and render Markdown within
- Fully Configurable: While
portraydoesn't have to be configured, you still can fully configure it within the standard
- Easily Programmable:
portrayexposes a clean and simple Python API.
- Searchable: Out of the box
portraymakes all of your documentation, even autogenerated code references, free-text searchable.
portrayis compatible with all existing MkDocs Themes.
The following guides should get you up and running with a documentation website in no time.
- Installation - TL;DR: Run
pip3 install portraywithin your projects virtual environment.
- Command Line Usage - TL;DR: Run
portray in_browserto test and
portray on_github_pagesto deploy.
- API Usage - TL;DR: Everything available via the CLI is also easily available programmatically from within Python.
- Configuration - TL;DR: Put all configuration within a
[tool.portray]section of your