pokeemerald warp randomizer
Randomizes the warps in a stock pokeemerald repo.
matplotlibvia pip3 or similar.
POKEEMERALDenvironment variable to the path to your
rand_idxat the top of the file to the seed to start searching from.
- Ensure that the repo has not already been randomized, or the script will not work!
- The script will search for randomized layouts which pass completability tests. This can take anywhere from a couple of minutes to an hour.
- “Completable” is defined as a series of pathfinding routes from the first gym to the last gym to the Elite 4, including required story events and in-order. As such, it is highly likely that sequence breaks will allow faster completion. The pathfinding routes do not use Cut, Fly nor the bikes.
- Current average amount of viable generated seeds is about 1 in 20,000.
- After a seed is found, map JSONs will be modified and
pokeemeraldcan be compiled
There are no guarantees on softlocking prevention, though several precautions are taken:
- Littleroot Town is frozen to guarantee the player gets a Pokemon.
- The Elite 4 are all frozen to enforce gym completion (but may be configurably unfrozen later?).
- Petalburg Woods is currently frozen, but may be unfrozen later.
- Mossdeep City Gym is frozen, due to complexity with verifying the puzzle can be completed with warps altered.
- Petalburg Gym is frozen, due to doors being tied to trainers (high softlock potential).
- Shoal Cave is frozen due to tides.
- Trick House is frozen to prevent breakage.
- Trainer Hill is frozen to prevent breakage.
- Regi Tombs are frozen due to the Braille wall (but may be unfrozen later?).
- The Mt. Chimney Cable Car is not randomized and will always travel between stations (the entrances and exits, however, are randomized).
- By default, all warps are connected bidirectionally to a central node (ie,
MAP_PETALBURG_CITY_WARP0..Nwill connect to
- Connections are a bidirectional edge between central map nodes (ie,
- For maps with ledges, edges can be cut in either direction.
- Maps with partitioning generally forgo the central node and connect warps directly to each other.
- Edges which require HMs or story flags will have an additional attribute
requires, and during the completion tests these edges are cut if flags haven’t yet been obtained.