Lets do Factorio Calculator but make it optimize.
Why not use Factorio Calculator?
- Becuase factorio calculator is not general.
- The approach it uses only works when everything only has 1 recipe (you can calculate total derivatives, since the change in the number of recipe
aentirely descrbes the change in the quantity of item
- When everything has 1 recipe there is only 1 solution
iron-ore → iron-plate → iron-gear-wheel, thus when you need
iron-gear-wheels you can simply multiply this tree.
- With multiple recipes there are in affect an infinite number of permutations of possible combinations that produce the desired resource (you can only calculate partial derivatives since changes in recipe
aonly partially describes changes in the quantity of item
What does this do?
The same thing as factorio calculator, but in a generalized form that can be applied to any number of recipes/mods.
Why this approach?
- We can’t calculate total derivatives so that shuts off solving it, we can only optimize it.
- Since we can calculate partial derivatives and we have a relatively high dimensionality (the number of recipes, in base game 160) gradient descent allows for more intelligent optimization than an approach like bayesian optimization.