Fuzzy and Semantic Caption-Based Searching for YouTube Videos.
What Scoper is
Scoper is a python script that takes a youtube URL and a user query string as inputs, and returns the timestamps in the video where the content of the caption closely matches the user's query string.
For example, in the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfHEnw6Rm-4 - which is Apple's October 2018 event, if you were to query
Photoshop for ipad, you'd see the following output -
photoshop on ipad. 1h 6m 29s for. 54m 16s ipad. 50m 37s photoshop. 1h 14m 8s this is a historic center for 3m 48s would love to play it for you 4m 50s pro users but designed for all 7m 52s exactly what you're looking for, 8m 0s go and use for everything they 8m 52s product line for years to come, 9m 29s
How Scoper works
Scoper works in two ways.
- Extract captions and timestamps from the YouTube URL
- Preprocess the user query and train a Word2Vec model
- Query over the captions and find the best match. This is done in two ways, as decided by the user -
- Scoper enables you to query over the video's captions by using fuzzy matching algorithms.
- This means it searches for the most relevant captions in terms of spelling and finds the nearest match.
- Done by using variants of Levenshtein's distance algorithms.
- Supports multiple languages.
- Scoper also enables you to query over the video's captions using semantic sentence similarity algorithms.
- The performance of semantic searching is highly dependent on the dataset on which the Word2Vec model used is trained on.
- By default, the Brown's corpus is used to train the Word2Vec model, and additionally a modified word-mover's distance algorithm is used to evaluate sentence-sentence similarity.
- For non-english language querying, the user will have to provide their own dataset.
- Map back the chosen captions to the original timestamps and return them
How to use Scoper
>>> obj = Scoper() >>> obj.main('https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFTmQ27S7OQ', mode = 'FUZZY', limit = 10) Enter query string: Apple Watch [('Apple Watch.', 1796.994), ('the iPad to the Apple watch, and', 318.617), ('Apple Watch has grown in such a', 480.379), ... ]
Web GUI usage
> python -W ignore scoper.py --video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfHEnw6Rm-4 --mode FUZZY --limit 10 --language en Enter query string: prjct airo air. 9m 0s project aero, our new augmented 1h 6m 7s well, with project aero, now you 1h 9m 54s we also showed you project aero, 1h 11m 28s pro. 49m 43s ipad pro and it protects both 57m 15s tap. 59m 52s so now with photoshop, project 1h 10m 41s products, every ipad pro is made 1h 15m 41s previous air. 18m 13s > python -W ignore scoper.py --video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfHEnw6Rm-4 --mode SEMANTIC --limit 10 --language en Enter query string: i can't wait to introduce you i am thrilled to be able to tell 46m 43s you're going to be amazed by 1h 19m 18s powered by the all-new a12x 51m 26s but since this is an x chip, it 51m 51s in fact, this new a12x has more 51m 55s i can't wait for you to get your 25m 32s just like in the x-r, we call it 47m 15s the a12x bionic has an all-new 53m 1s a few days ago and they're live 40m 31s and all of the new features of 21m 47s
Subscribe to Python Awesome
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox