Run away from Metadata
[⚠️] - Warning:
USE A VPN TO HIDE YOUR IP
IT'S IN TEST
PreviewGram is under LGPL License
Application's theme from UN-GCPDS/qt-material under BSD-2-Clause License.
PreviewGram is for users that wants get a more private experience with the Telegram's Channel. It's because:
- Telegram collects when you see determinate content
- Groups show publicly who are the followers*
- The channel owners can see who are them followers
- Telegram added Group Read Receipts*
- You must to trust on Telegram's Servers
- * PreviewGram doesn't protects you against it, because can't view Group Chats.
[⚠️] - Warning
Telegram Privacy IssuesTopic to understand more.
How to install
> pip install -r requirements.txt > py -m build > pip install dist/Private\ PreviewGram-1.1.tar.gz
[⚠️] - Note
If you're in another version, change the
1.1for the current version.
Running without install
- Clone this project
git clone https://github.com/RickBarretto/PreviewGram.git
On repository folder, run:
pip -m test_application.py
PreviewGram protects you when:
- Doesn't store cookies
- Doesn't run trackers
- Uses a generic Chrome user-agent
- Doesn't use Telegram's API
- Doesn't require a Account
- Store locally your favorites Channels
- Can't open some links
PreviewGram isn't the perfection on Earth. Because:
- It's limited by the Telegram's Preview Site itself.
So, PreviewGram can't:
- Hide your IP*
- Play videos**
- See Group Chats***
- Download files directly*** (instead this, do:
RMB**** > Copy link addressand download on Telegram App)
- * Use a VPN or Proxy. Read
Why PreviewGram doesn't use Tor's Proxy by itself?
- *** Preview website limitation
- **** RMB is Right Mouse Button
- Always use Vpn or Proxy
- To open links, do
RMB* > Copy link address
- If you want to watch videos, please use Tor** (or any Browser that you trust)
- Click on
Test privacy!button to test for yourself. It's tested by What Is My Browser***
Extra: Accessing channels through TorBrowser
Accessing via Tortopic.
VPN, Proxy and Tor
Proxy is your online ID, hiding you real IP Address. It's a intermediary between your Web Browser and the internet, a web site for example. (Needs to be configured per-app basis)
VPN covers 100% of you device traffic, encrypting the connection. It'll hide your real IP Address.
The Onion Route (Tor)
Tor anonymizes your traffic sending it through a series of proxies, this proxies are called Nodes, that encrypts the traffic and sends to destiny using a Exit Node.
- Should I Use a VPN, Proxy, or Tor? - AVG
- Penetration testing: TOR, VPN or proxy - InfoSec
- What is the difference between a proxy and a VPN? - ProtonVPN
- About Tor - Tor Project
The Tor's Power
With and Without Tor:
|Tor: off / Https: off||Tor: off / Https: on||Tor: on / Https: on|
Source: When I'm using Tor, can eavesdroppers still see the information I share with websites, like login information and things I type into forms?
Why PreviewGram doesn't use Tor's Proxy by itself?
Tor have some issues, and aren't recommended to use Tor outside TorBrowser to avoid DNS Leaks and VPN+TOR issues.
- Bittorrent over Tor isn't a good idea - Tor Project
- "Tor Browser will block browser plugins such as Flash, RealPlayer, QuickTime, and others: they can be manipulated into revealing your IP address." - Tor Project
- KNOWN ISSUES - Tor Project
- TorPlusVPN - Tor Project (GitLab)
- Brave browser leaks onion addresses in DNS traffic - ZDNet
But What The F??? talking about Tor, if PreviewGram doesn't use it???
Because you can Access the channels via Tor
Yep, you don't need this application if you have Tor... ?
Accessing via Tor
- Create a "Telegram Channels" Folder on Bookmarks
- To access your favorite channel, put a
/s/between the domain and channel name, example:
- Save to "Telegram Channels"'s Bookmark Folder
If you're a Dev (or not), help PreviewGram forking and making pull requests. Don't afraid to use the Github's Issue Tab to make critics, suggestions, bugs and security reports! ?
- [ ] Block
telegram.organd other https requests using the
- [ ] Channel Categories
- [ ] Open on Tor
- [ ] UI improvements?
Telegram Privacy Issues
- According to VPN Mentor, Telegram "Telegram is Not as Private as it Claims" saying that they "operates with zero transparency":
- Source: Cybercrime on Telegram: How Hackers Are Using the Messaging App to Share Data Leaks and Hacks - VPN Mentor
- Telegram can suffer Law Enforcement
- Telegram agreed to transfer to the special services [but not Russian] IP-addresses and numbers of some users
- Law Enforcement Authorities
- In 2020, Telegram suffered a data leak:
- Source: Millions of Telegram Users’ Data Exposed on Darknet - CoinTelegraph
- It isn't a Telegram specific problem Read
Osint Problems, because: “Unfortunately, any contacts-based app faces the challenge of malicious users trying to upload many phone numbers and build databases that match them with user IDs – like this one.” - Telegram representative to CoinTelegraph
- Tip: hide your phone number on Telegram's configurations.
- Telegram added Group Read Receipts:
- Source: Read Receipts in Small Groups - Telegram
As any Social Network app, Telegram suffers with Osint (Open-Source Intelligence), be caution with the information that you exposes publicly about yourself!
What is Osint?
Yeah, it's the information era, 500 milions tweets are published every day. Public informations like birthday, complete name, age are available on internet published by its own users. Which in itself poses privacy risks.
"Open-source intelligence (OSINT) is a multi-factor (qualitative, quantitative) methodology for collecting, analyzing and making decisions about data accessible in publicly available sources to be used in an intelligence context."
Source: Open-Source Intelligence - Wikiless
So, caution with your public information! ?