Better Your Chess
This project aims to help you learn from all the chess games you've played online, starting with a simple way to download an organized collection of your games!
On Chess.com, you can view your winrate by color, your best win, and analyze a game per day for free. Building on top of the Stockfish engine and python-chess, this package aims to give the user: winrates by opening, automatic tactic generation from your library, and common deviations from book moves.
- winrate by opening
- rating distribution
- automatic tactics generation from your library
- show opening positions where you often deviate from book moves
- loss frequencies (checkmate, resignation, timed out)
- suggest grandmasters with similar repertoires
notebooks/intro_to_python-chess.ipynb - intro to working with PGNs via python-chess and polyglot opening books.
scripts/pgn_downloader.py - download Chess.com games for a user, organized in year/month directories.
python scripts/pgn_downloader.py username
chess_analytics/game_reader.py - implements a GameReader, class to work with PGNs.
chess_analytics/game_library.py - build a library of games from a directory, represented as a dataframe with 1 row per game.
from chess_analytics.game_library import GameLibrary library = GameLibrary("data/user_games/user/") library.df.head()
- scripts/plotting.py - visualize a library: opponent rating distribution, winrate by opening, and more.
- scripts/generate_tactics.py - Automatically generate tactics from a library. This currently supports mate-in-Ns, producing a JSON and PNGs of the positions. 10 examples are in data/output/tactics/.
White to move & mate in two