Convert Images into ASCII Art with the power of Python.
What ASCIIFY is
ASCIIFY is a python script that takes in as input an image, and returns a text output that resembles the input image.
In other words, it replicates an image with certain characters.
How ASCIIFY works
ASCIIFY works in a rather simple and intuitive way.
Here's the algorithm -
- Resize the image to a standard dimension, while maintaining aspect ratio
- Convert to grayscale (the reason for doing so is because characters are replaced based on their intensity)
- Create list of special characters to replace pixels with
- Classify and divide pixels into buckets or groups, based on their intensity
- Replace all pixels in a bucket with the corresponding special character
- Print the text into terminal or write into a file
How to use ASCIIFY
- Ensure you have the required dependency "PIL" for Python installed. (pip install pillow)
- Clone the repo
- Run the python script, and pass the image path as the parameter
- The script will print the output in the terminal, and will also write into a file 'img.txt' in the same directory as the python script
- Alternatively support colored outputs by printing the text onto an image
If you liked this, leave a star! :star:
If you liked this and also liked my other work, be sure to follow me for more! :slightly_smiling_face: