Real-Time High-Resolution Background Matting
Official repository for the paper Real-Time High-Resolution Background Matting. Our model requires capturing an additional background image and produces state-of-the-art matting results at 4K 30fps and HD 60fps on an Nvidia RTX 2080 TI GPU.
Disclaimer: The video conversion script in this repo is not meant be real-time. Our research’s main contribution is the neural architecture for high resolution refinement and the new matting datasets. The
inference_speed_test.py script allows you to measure the tensor throughput of our model, which should achieve real-time. The
inference_video.py script allows you to test your video on our model, but the video encoding and decoding is done without hardware acceleration and parallization. For production use, you are expected to do additional engineering for hardware encoding/decoding and loading frames to GPU in parallel. For more architecture detail, please refer to our paper.
New Paper is Out!
Check out Robust Video Matting! Our new method does not require pre-captured backgrounds, and can inference at even faster speed!
- [Jun 21 2021] Paper received CVPR 2021 Best Student Paper Honorable Mention.
- [Apr 21 2021] VideoMatte240K dataset is now published.
- [Mar 06 2021] Training script is published.
- [Feb 28 2021] Paper is accepted to CVPR 2021.
- [Jan 09 2021] PhotoMatte85 dataset is now published.
- [Dec 21 2020] We updated our project to MIT License, which permits commercial use.
Model / Weights
Video / Image Examples
We provide several scripts in this repo for you to experiment with our model. More detailed instructions are included in the files.
inference_images.py: Perform matting on a directory of images.
inference_video.py: Perform matting on a video.
inference_webcam.py: An interactive matting demo using your webcam.
Additionally, you can try our notebooks in Google Colab for performing matting on images and videos.
We provide a demo application that pipes webcam video through our model and outputs to a virtual camera. The script only works on Linux system and can be used in Zoom meetings. For more information, checkout:
Usage / Documentation
You can run our model using PyTorch, TorchScript, TensorFlow, and ONNX. For detail about using our model, please check out the Usage / Documentation page.
data_path.pth to point to your dataset. The original paper uses
train_base.pth to train only the base model till convergence then use
train_refine.pth to train the entire network end-to-end. More details are specified in the paper.
- Shanchuan Lin*, University of Washington
- Andrey Ryabtsev*, University of Washington
- Soumyadip Sengupta, University of Washington
- Brian Curless, University of Washington
- Steve Seitz, University of Washington
- Ira Kemelmacher-Shlizerman, University of Washington
* Equal contribution.
Projects developed by third-party developers.